As I was praying the other night the words, “Come, Lord, Come” came to my mind. I had been asking the Lord to guide my prayers, and I had not been thinking about this before I started praying, so I took this as His answer. I remembered that Revelation 22:17; 20 says, “The Spirit and the bride say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who hears say, ‘Come.’ And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. . .’Surely I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.”
The heart of God longs for the marriage of the Lamb. The Spirit continually prays for this. Those who truly are part of the bride of Christ cry out with the Holy Spirit, “Lord, Come!” If we do not have this desire we should ask God to reveal to us whether we are really saved. Maybe we are but we have allowed distractions to come into our lives. We tend to love the world more than we love the Lord, but He wants to draw us close to Himself and make us long for Him.
“Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready. . .” Revelation 19:6-7
What can we do to make ourselves ready for the Lord? 1 Peter 4 helps us understand what preparing for the coming of the Lord looks like:
1. Cease from practicing sin (by walking in the Spirit and asking Him to overcome sin in your life)
2. Live for the will of God (found in the Bible–we need to spend part of every day reading God’s word and asking the Holy Spirit to apply it to our lives).
3. Do not live like the world with its sinful passions.
4. Expect people to mock you, and obey God anyway.
5. Remember the end of all things is at hand (pray for the Lord’s return).
6. Make prayer an important part of each day. Be self-controlled and sober-minded so that you can make time for prayer. Are there any weights, distractions or sins keeping you from pursuing the Lord in prayer? Pray specifically that God would awaken in our hearts a hunger for Jesus to come back. I believe God is doing this work of awakening in the body of Christ right now.
7. Live a life of holiness, which is demonstrated by:
Loving one another earnestly
Forgiving each other
Serving each other without grumbling by practicing hospitality
Using the spiritual gifts God has given us for the edification of the body of Christ and the glory of God (In 1 Corinthians 14 Paul says to “Pursue love. Earnestly desire spiritual gifts.” It is good to ask God for specific spiritual gifts that will help meet the needs of the local body you are a part of). Some have speaking gifts and others have gifts of service, but we should all practice these gifts that come from God with boldness and the power of the Spirit.
8. Expect trials and rejoice in opportunities to suffer for Christ.
9. Entrust yourself to God, our faithful Creator.
Lord, pour out your Spirit on us, your people. We are are weak and fail to love you as you deserve. Make us long for you as you open our eyes to the great love you have for us. Let your love overshadow anything we have desired more than you. Make us righteous and holy and give us power to love you and walk in righteousness. Amen.